Saturday, December 22, 2007

The Problem With Malls

I thought I was alone, but it appears that I am not. I really don't like going to malls.

It is not that I don't enjoy the utility of having so many stores in one place, it is definitely convenient. It's just that it is not an enjoyable experience for me. I don't like all of these advertisements telling me what I need to buy, I don't like the people in the booths trying to sell me something, I just don't like it. I would much prefer to buy things online. The only exception being a big-ticket item such as a thousand dollar TV, in which case I need to see it in person.

On the other hand, there are people who would live in the mall if they could. These are the people who have been hanging out in malls since they were 13. They love buying things, and when they run out of money, they look at things they want to buy.

I believe that these two groups of people make up the majority of a mall's customers. The latter will go to the mall no matter what happens. Thus, malls should focus on making the whole mall experience more enjoyable for the customer who doesn't like what's going on. I'm thinking adding a few cafes or some open sitting areas (instead of the uncomfortable benches).

I am sure there are many things that malls could do to make the experience more enjoyable. Whatever changes are made, the result must be to make the mall a desitnation for people other than the dedicated mall rats. If malls dont make these changes, then one day, after it has become unfashionable for 13 year old girls to spend all day at the mall, they will cease to exist.

Bottom line malls, get better


-Christopher Paul

No comments: